New Rod Idea

For discussion of all things 7Seas, user-to-user support, and fish or salvage trade requests. Any registered user can start new threads here and reply.

New Rod Idea

Postby BiChristina Zipper » 13 Apr 2009, 14:08

I thought it would be nice to create a lil HUD to go along with pro rod pack. Have boast, menu, quiet catch, and other options on it. The coding should be simple for it since all the codes are already baked into the rod. But i think other fishers will agree with me that it gets hard to click the rod while fishing, and would be a nice lil addition to the rod pack without alot of extra work.
*Chrissy'z Designz*
BiChristina Zipper

Re: New Rod Idea

Postby Redwood Rhiadra » 13 Apr 2009, 15:55

Just remember "/1 menu" - I started 7Seas last night and found it extremely useful, especially since I was using the invisible rod.

What you're asking for may not actually be feasible. When building a dialog menu, a good scripter (and I'm certain the 7Seas folks are good scripters) will specify a random channel for the response, and will only listen to that channel for just long enough to get the response. This prevents spoofing. But it also means that since there's no fixed channel, it's not possible for a HUD to send commands - the rod won't be listening.
Redwood Rhiadra

Postby BiChristina Zipper » 13 Apr 2009, 16:47

Well right now i know the rods dont use random channels, why there are so many autocaster HUDs out there. So its entirely possible with the current rods, but they may use random channels with the next rod update.
*Chrissy'z Designz*
BiChristina Zipper

Postby Seven Shikami » 13 Apr 2009, 17:16

We left it as a static channel with intent to eventually make a HUD of our own. Some channel scanning reverse engineers got a hold of it and now we have a proliferation of autocasters.

The next rod revision will be shutting that down, in favor of a built-in autocaster that respects a fishing area's right to disable it and is more in tune with natural human casting.

You can always make a /1 menu gesture, and we are including an OpenSeas channel you can use to pop open a menu automatically. We may open up more HUD functionality down the road, but not right now.
From the workshop of Seven Shikami, Official 7Seas Code Monkey.
For technical support please contact 7Seas Sass by IM in Second Life.
Seven Shikami

Postby Redwood Rhiadra » 13 Apr 2009, 20:33

If you do build a HUD, I'd like to see the HUD display Bait and XP stats. That's what I find myself using the menu most frequently for.
Redwood Rhiadra

Postby Seven Shikami » 14 Apr 2009, 05:28

We're adding a bait indicator to the actual "You cast out for a fish" message. It's also being broadcast on an OpenSeas channel. I can look into adding an XP indicator on the OpenSeas channel too, so HUD designers can tap into that data stream without needing an in-road into the rod controls themselves.
From the workshop of Seven Shikami, Official 7Seas Code Monkey.
For technical support please contact 7Seas Sass by IM in Second Life.
Seven Shikami

Postby Kagehi Kohn » 15 Apr 2009, 22:47

Hmm. One solution to channels, which I opted for with a door design, (because it just made no sense to consider this issue when making the dialog controls, thanks Linden. lol), was to take llGetLoc() and parse the coordinates into a channel number. Means every door, in principle, has its own channel, based on where its located. Mind, this only makes it harder, it doesn't prevent, spoofing, since obviously all someone would need to do is get a persons key, then use llGetObjectDetails to find their "location", then parse it into a channel number. :p But, you could add some predetermined number, xor it with some value, or manipulate it in some fashion that prevents easily "guessing" it, even if you know the location of the AV. But, since its going to use the location of the person wearing the equipment, all such equipment should "know" what the correct channel is, as soon as attached, simply by being on the same av when its attached.

Not perfect, but.. There are ways to manage these things. lol
Kagehi Kohn

Return to 7Seas General Discussion