[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
7Seas Fishing Forum • View topic - Statistics For The Curious!

Statistics For The Curious!

For discussion of all things 7Seas, user-to-user support, and fish or salvage trade requests. Any registered user can start new threads here and reply.

Statistics For The Curious!

Postby Seven Shikami » 30 Dec 2008, 20:51

As of December 31st, we have 15641 fishers on file. (No way to know how ACTIVE they are, but we've had 15641 accounts opened for people who purchased either a Pro or Casual rod.)

Of those fishers, 5503 are Level 5 and above. 2007 fishers haven't earned a single experience point (are fishing baitless or casual). The other 8131 fishers have between 1 and 499 XP.

Also, in the last 24 hours of 7Seas...

...99133 items total were requested. (Some may not have actually arrived due to declining and muting... although we strongly advise folks not to mute our item servers...)

For fishing rods, 75 Pro, 12 Casual, and 54 Demo were sold.

Fishing Area Kits, 18 were sold.

For bait, Bulk Bait was purchased 250 times; single Bait Buckets were purchased 148 times.

Aquariums, boats, and games all had at least a few sales.
From the workshop of Seven Shikami, Official 7Seas Code Monkey.
For technical support please contact 7Seas Sass by IM in Second Life.
Seven Shikami

Re: Statistics For The Curious!

Postby Jen Shikami » 31 Dec 2008, 04:30

Interesting! We can make _some_ assumption about the activity level of those fishers; because they have accounts in the database, we know for sure that those 15,641 fishers are all people who've upgraded to rod version 3.0 and above. That means all those people have been active between September and now.

... Wow, almost 16,000 fishers and still adding almost 100 fishers a day? (non-demo rods) Egads!!

99,133 items sounds like it would actually be at least 100K items requested considering the following:
A) the vast majority of those would be fish caught,
B) I am sure a lot of people hit "decline" on repeat fish,
C) I know many folks have me and Meissa muted so they don't have to bother hitting "decline." (The mutes are totally understandable! Soon they won't have to do that anymore, when AutoDecline kicks in with rod version 3.2. It's nice to see a baseline of what the number would probably be without AutoDecline running though.)

Another interesting inference is possible here. Given the sales figures shown for non-fishy things, approx. 1,000 of those 100K items were purchases. So let's say that's at least 99,000 official fish caught every day.

Assuming all active fishers are L5+ and using bait (which is a big assumption) and given a 65% catch success rate for people level 5 and above, that would translate into about 152,000 casts per day.

While those are big assumptions, that does closely jive with the bait numbers listed for today: 165K individual pieces of bait. Since not everyone is L5+ as assumed in the paragraph above, it makes sense that folks would indeed use more bait than the idealized 152K calculated in the previous paragraph. Still, the numbers are quite close, which means that probably most of our active daily fishers are you hardcore L5+ folks!

Given that you can cast once about every 30 seconds, then that 165K bait is the equivalent of 1,375 man-hours of fishing per day. (Zounds!) Of course reality would break that down into an even higher number since there are also people fishing without bait, casting slower, etc.

And this was a weekday; we know weekends are even more active...

So I think it's clear that the number of active daily fishers is quite high, in the hundreds at least, possibly thousands. We've said it before, but wow, thank you! :) SO glad you're having fun!
Official builder for 7Seas Fishing. Learn more at http://7seasfishing.com
For technical support, please contact 7Seas Sass by IM in Second Life.
Jen Shikami

Postby 7Seas Sass » 05 Feb 2009, 04:01

Seven, since it's been about a month, are these stats something you're interested in running every month or quarterly so the community can see itself grow?

If not that's understandable too; I don't know how hard they are to collect! It'd be fine as just a one-time snapshot too.
You can just call me "Sass." I am your official customer support gal! Send me an IM in Second Life (name: 7Seas Sass) if you need individual help.
7Seas Sass

Postby Atashi Toshihiko » 05 Feb 2009, 04:40

I'd love to see stats every month -- if that's not too much work.

It's fascinating to find out how many fishers there are, how active they are, how many new ones have gotten addicted that month etc. :)

-Atashi
Atashi Toshihiko

Postby Seven Shikami » 05 Feb 2009, 06:41

Well, I don't wanna commit to having timely monthly stats -- it takes some time to compile them -- but it can't hurt to give it another go. Let's try January.

As of February 5th, we have 19839 fishers on file. 7Seas Sass has noticed a LOT of longtime fishers came back after the holidays to find their rods weren't upgraded, so they had accounts opened up for them during this month.

Of those fishers, 6765 are Level 5 and above. 2599 fishers haven't earned a single experience point (are fishing baitless or casual). The other 10475 fishers have between 1 and 499 XP.

Also, in the last 24 hours(ish) of 7Seas...

...76320 items total were requested. Less items overall than the last 24 hour period polled, but...

For fishing rods, 93 Pro, 26 Casual, and 51 Demo were sold. That's an increase from last time.

Fishing Area Kits, 17 were sold. About on par with last time.

For bait, Bulk Bait was purchased 327 times; single Bait Buckets were purchased 186 times. Increase!

Aquariums, boats, and games all had at least a few sales. Our new Contest Expansion Pack isn't selling quite as well as I'd like, but it IS an add-on, which historically is only a percentage of total area kit sales.
Seven Shikami

Postby Judi Newall » 06 Feb 2009, 04:25

That's interesting TY Damien, maybe the new add-on will increase in sales as people start seeing it around? I have mine ready to setup this weekend with the Bounty Hunt & Leaderboard options at least.
Judi Newall

Postby Atashi Toshihiko » 06 Feb 2009, 05:14

Thanks for sharing the stats Seven!

Re. the contest add-ons, I did buy the kit but I was reluctant to do so... all I wanted was the local leaderboard and the bounty hunt. I understand it's easier to sell as a pack and easier for the vendor units, but had they been available separately (eg. at Flotsam Beach) I would have been there a lot sooner to buy just the two I wanted. I know L$600 is not a lot (actually it's very inexpensive) but... that's like 2400 bait! :)

The Aqua-Dash and Wheel of Fish are things I just can't figure out how to use them in a regular way. I mean, I think they'd be fun at a party if most of the attendees were 7Seas fishers, but during normal fishing, or normal contesting, they seem to be more of a distraction. Whereas the bounty hunt just goes by itself and works in conjunction with fishing/contesting, and the leaderboard is just nice for bragging rights.

Anyhow I guess my point is, you might see more sales of individual units if they were available separately somewhere.

-Atashi
Atashi Toshihiko

Postby Seven Shikami » 06 Feb 2009, 06:05

We might, but the advantage to bundling is also to get people to consider using things they might otherwise completely overlook. It's the same reasoning behind selling an album when all someone might want is the 1-3 hit singles... they could be missing out on something they like. If I removed the less used but still fun items, they'd probably be completely ignored, in the same way certain aquariums were ignored before we bundled those up.

And frankly? You wouldn't save much money if I unbundled them. AquaDash as a standalone is $250 and the other three were actually twice as hard to code as that thing was. We're pretty severely discounting them already considering how many weeks it took to develop and test these products. The original price point we were considering was $750 ($250 for each of the three new things and AD thrown in as a free bonus) but we decided it cut it down a bit so it wasn't as expensive as a full area kit.
Seven Shikami

Return to 7Seas General Discussion