[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
7Seas Fishing Forum • View topic - Is there a way to trigger the casting automatically?

Is there a way to trigger the casting automatically?

For discussion of all things 7Seas, user-to-user support, and fish or salvage trade requests. Any registered user can start new threads here and reply.

Is there a way to trigger the casting automatically?

Postby Atashi Toshihiko » 03 Jan 2009, 17:02

Ok I'm addicted to the 7Seas fishing... I'd like to keep fishing while I'm working on building etc, but I end up always forgetting to cast. For that matter, just fishing & socializing, I keep forgetting to cast.

Is there a way to trigger the rod to cast, that doesn't involve a chat, gesture, or click? I.e. could I use a script to trigger it so I can fish and work at the same time?

Thanks!

-Atashi
Atashi Toshihiko

Re: Is there a way to trigger the casting automatically?

Postby Seven Shikami » 03 Jan 2009, 18:28

There are gestures the community has made that can auto-cast for a few minutes at a time. It's not something we officially support, but it's not something we officially block, either (doing that would be impossible and very RIAA-like in terms of no-win terminal runarounds chasing it down).

In an upcoming version of the fishing rods, you'll also be able to have the menu pop open automatically after every casting finishes, so you don't have to click on the rod or type /1 cast.
From the workshop of Seven Shikami, Official 7Seas Code Monkey.
For technical support please contact 7Seas Sass by IM in Second Life.
Seven Shikami

Postby Atashi Toshihiko » 03 Jan 2009, 18:46

Thanks for the info Seven! I didn't think about making a repeating gesture, but that would work.

Have a great day!

-Atashi
Atashi Toshihiko

Postby RichD Tomsen » 02 Feb 2009, 20:37

I have a Flip side question.... I'm thinking of running a week long contest.... Is there a way to prevent / detect people using auto casters so that I can disqualify them from winning prizes ( they can keep any fish they catch) I want this to be not only fair, but I am looking to have as many live people on the sim so that maybe they will shop in my stores. to me auto casting is like draining the lake and scooping up all the fish with a bucket loader. maybe as a "wish list" Item, we add another category to the contests that prevents auto casting. and the rod makes the user pick a random selection to actually cast.
RichD Tomsen

Postby Gregor Mougin » 03 Feb 2009, 04:44

For the autocasting HUD I sell this was built in from the beginning. During a contest just say/shout: /9999 status

I don't know if other creations have similar options.
Gregor Mougin

Postby Seven Shikami » 03 Feb 2009, 06:36

From the workshop of Seven Shikami, Official 7Seas Code Monkey.
For technical support please contact 7Seas Sass by IM in Second Life.
Seven Shikami

Postby Judi Newall » 05 Feb 2009, 01:41

I bought Gregor's HUD that he mentions above and it is excellent for testing the fishing servers. I've run it for an hour on each of the last 2 nights checking stats on customs and it's been great. Combined with the new auto-decline it means I can carry on building and just note what customs I'm catching.

BTW those (especially Amara) who have been helping me will be delighted to know I finally finished setting up, just tweaking now. Although it looks daunting the scripts are explained so well (BIG TY!) that even a script-o-phobioc like me can cope.
Judi Newall

Postby 7Seas Sass » 05 Feb 2009, 03:59

RichD, if it helps, there are fishing area owners who set a rule that the people fishing should be responsive within a certain number of minutes if somebody or the host talks to them. That is one way to tell if the person is mega-AFK. (Of course remember they might've just run off to the bathroom or be deep in IMs... but the point is, if they reply within five or ten minutes or whatever, then you know they aren't parked there while their player is fast asleep RL.)
You can just call me "Sass." I am your official customer support gal! Send me an IM in Second Life (name: 7Seas Sass) if you need individual help.
7Seas Sass

Postby Atashi Toshihiko » 05 Feb 2009, 04:38

I have 'crunched the numbers' on paper then tested my findings in SL, by monitoring several thousand casts in the last 2 weeks. (Did I mention I'm a numbers junkie?)

Once you get above level 5 it is a somewhat predictable XP result, when averaged over time. The bare number is roughly 1.4 XP per cast, but obviously this is subject to wild swings over short time periods. Consequently, a 30-min or even a 2-hour contest is going to be a matter of luck, and nothing else. Over longer time periods, the swings average out. Over a thousand casts, the hot- and cold-streaks balance out and the average does hold around 1.4 XP per cast. Over a week-long marathon, it's going to boil down to who's there the longest and make the most casts.

Consequently, IMHO, the only advantage autocasters provide is if you need to get a drink, head to the washroom, or if you tend to get more involved in the conversation than the fishing and keep forgetting to cast. Which I think are nice advantages of course - whether contesting or just fishing for levels / points / customs / etc.

I also do a lot of building, and like Judi, I appreciate that I can build and fish at the same time :)

Cheers!

-Atashi
Atashi Toshihiko

Postby RichD Tomsen » 07 Feb 2009, 11:00

I do understand you can get into a real arms race over determining who is human and who is not. I'm not only looking to limit the events to real people, but I want it to be a level playing field where every participant can have a chance.... some AV that's been casting for hours or even days will of course be victorious over the average person just there for the fun of it. I do like the idea of approaching someone that's been there for a long time and attempting to speak with them. I can have some of my staff do that as a monitor. and if there's no response in a reasonable amount of time decide how to best deal with it.

Thanks for the ideas.... Good fishing everyone.

Rich
RichD Tomsen

Return to 7Seas General Discussion