[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
7Seas Fishing Forum • View topic - Pala Chat Relay - V 1.8 - Now available

Pala Chat Relay - V 1.8 - Now available

Promote your fishing area, contest, or new OpenSeas content. Only purple names (see sticky) can start new threads here. Any registered user can reply.

Pala Chat Relay - V 1.8 - Now available

Postby Grey Nacht » 01 Feb 2009, 11:21

As some of you are aware, I have been working on a chat relay for use at fishing areas that are larger than chat or sometimes shout range. I have had it running at Pala for a few weeks and a few other folks have been running pre-release versions of the relay.

Well, I am happy (and a bit afraid) to announce that the Pala Chat Relay is now available for general release. For now It is distributed copy, mod, no transfer. If there are features added (and I have a couple I want to try) or bugs found and fixed, I would like to know where to send the updated versions. The code is open source (it is not 100% my code, and the original author is credited and a LM to his place included). The Pala Chat Relay is free.

So, what is it and why might you care? The chat relay allows folks who are spread all over a large fishing area to chat without having to shout. It also allows fishers who might be outside of shout range to chat with others at your dock. Participation in the relay network is voluntary. Each fisher can decide if they want their chat relayed or not. Regardless of their decision, they will hear the chat that is being relayed (if they are within 20 meters of a relay).

As distributed, the Pala Chat Relay is a .5 meter blue sphere. It displays 2 lines of hover text indicating what it is and inviting the fisher to touch it to opt in or out. If they start to chat within range of a relay and they are not already in that relay's chat relay list (CRL), they will be asked if they want to participate. If they want to change their mind at any time, they can click on a relay and do so. Once you rez a Pala Chat Relay at your location, touch it to get the option menu. Click the Help button for the documentation or the Configuration button to configure the relay.

2 liner.gif
Pala Chat Relay - 2 line hover text
2 liner.gif (12.88 KiB) Viewed 3518 times

If the blue sphere does not fit your dock decor, put the script and help file into an object that does and recompile the script (I run it under Mono). From the configuration menu, you can select 2 line (default) or 5 line hover text, set your relay network's name and the description of individual relays. You can also choose if you want to be notified when the relay resets (clears its CRL) and how long you want that reset interval to be. You can also clear the CRL manually. The relays have a calibration function which will cause the other relays in your network to report back the distance between them and relay you are positioning. The relays should be about 40 meters or more apart, or you may get some echoing of chat if fishers are in the overlap area. They will work anywhere in your region. I have tested them at Pala with a 4000 meter separation.

config menu.gif
Pala Chat Relay - configuration menu
config menu.gif (13.94 KiB) Viewed 3493 times

As for the load on your sim, I have been running 7 of them at Pala. They run at between 0.002 and 0.003 ms run time each. Negligible load.

So, how do you get a copy for your own dock? Come to Pala and go down to the fishing dock. From there you can see the lighthouse and pirate tower. The dispenser box is in the hidden room at the base of the pirate tower (yes, under water) at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Pala/235/228/9. You will have to walk or swim to it.

In tower.gif
Pala Chat Relay - giver box in Pala pirate tower
In tower.gif (243.38 KiB) Viewed 3478 times

Please IM me when you install a Pala Chat Relay so that I can keep you informed if there are updates or upgrades. Also IM me if you have problems or questions.

Grey Nacht
Visit Pala at . Feel free to explore or take the 12 minute balloon tour of the island at the telehub.
Grey Nacht

Pala Chat Relay 2.0 - Now available

Postby Grey Nacht » 15 Feb 2009, 14:33

Pala Chat Relay 2.0 is now available.

This is not a bug fix, but an upgrade release. In addition to the features described in the original post, the 2.0 release adds the following:

- Ability to check for updates.
- Ability to visualize the effective range of one or all of your installed relays

Updated documentation is included in the new relays, as well as a change log.

As before, you can pick up a copy in the hidden underwater room at the base of the abandoned pirate tower at Pala ()

This is free software.
If there are problems, questions or suggestions for additional features, please IM me.
Thanks
Grey Nacht
Visit Pala at . Feel free to explore or take the 12 minute balloon tour of the island at the telehub.
Grey Nacht

Return to Community Announcements