Dec 18th Overview of Cool Stuff In Development

No promotion here please! Discuss building, collecting, and using community catchables and 7Seas-compatible buyables. Any registered user can start new threads here and reply.

Dec 18th Overview of Cool Stuff In Development

Postby Seven Shikami » 18 Dec 2008, 10:04

Hiya. Thought I'd kick us off by running down what's going on in my workshop. I'm feverishly hammering away at some things as part of our relaunched "OpenSeas" initiative (since we've gone well beyond just "OpenFish" by this point!)

There's a lot of upgrades coming to the fishing rods and other things, but here's what's OpenSeas related. This is NOT AVAILABLE YET, but will be available to Fishing Area Kit owners via Proof of Purchase pulls once it's finished. (The parts are all creative commons, so if you don't own an FAK, just ask an FAK owner to send you the package. It's full perms and free to distribute, we just find the FAK's the easiest way to do it.)

OpenFish v2 -- We're adding in the ability to send fish to official 7Seas Aquariums. With some setup work to make an appropriately designed texture and pick some stats (fish actually have "stats" behind the scenes, surprise!) this'll let you put your fish in aquariums and use them in games like AquaDash and our upcoming (tenatively named) Wheel of Fish contest.

OpenBlueprint -- The ability to add Salvage and Blueprints to your Custom Prize Givers! Woohoo! This will be an open source, creative-commons kit just like OpenFish.

OpenAquarium -- Simple enough, we're opening up the ability for folks to create new catchable aquarium backdrops that interface with our Home and Round aquariums. We've had this ability in there for ages but never took advantage of it until now.

FishFinder Gizmo -- This is going to be a craftable item that lets people scan for nearby fishing areas and CPGs, and even list the available catches in any nearby CPGs. No longer will you be left wondering what's out there for you to catch!

I hope this forum gives builders, scripters, and designers a place to stay in the loop on our developments, and to help each other in their work. 7Seas community content has really taken off in a huge way, more than I'd ever anticipated, to the point where I'd say the lifeblood of the game is half our stuff and half your stuff. Amazing work; you are each given one free Internet. :)
From the workshop of Seven Shikami, Official 7Seas Code Monkey.
For technical support please contact 7Seas Sass by IM in Second Life.
Seven Shikami

Re: Dec 18th Overview of Cool Stuff In Development

Postby Seven Shikami » 19 Dec 2008, 10:32

Durnit. I screwed up the Round aquariums -- backdrops on them are flipped left to right. Which is fine for the official backdrops it ships with, but OpenAquarium backdrops won't be able to use text and such as a result. Don't worry, I'll issue a patch next week, but I'm not slowing up the release of this pack for that.

The OpenSeas pack will be available tonight or tomorrow, in both group notice attachments and as part of the Fishing Area Kit. To take advantage of OpenBlueprint you'll need to use your Proof of Purchase to pull down a fresh Fishing Area Kit and upgrade your Custom Prize Giver. This isn't a mandatory upgrade, otherwise. (I may make it mandatory later on.)
Seven Shikami

Postby 7Seas Sass » 19 Dec 2008, 10:39

They need to upgrade their CPG if they want it to work with the Fish Finder too, eh?
You can just call me "Sass." I am your official customer support gal! Send me an IM in Second Life (name: 7Seas Sass) if you need individual help.
7Seas Sass

Postby Seven Shikami » 19 Dec 2008, 13:00

Yep. FishFinder won't work on a 2.9 CPG.

Ah, hell, I may as well make this mandatory -- but I'll wait until after the holidays. Mandatory upgrades while people are out of town is not a good thing. Meanwhile it'll be a passive update via Proof of Purchase for those "in the know" so you can get a jump on things.
Seven Shikami

Postby Seven Shikami » 20 Dec 2008, 00:51

In case you missed it on our news forum, we launched the "OpenSeas" initiative.

Locking this thread -- if you want to ask your fellow fishers any questions about how to use the new scripts and parts and bits and things, post away! We've got folks ready to help.
Seven Shikami

Return to OpenSeas Creations